April 6, 2010

Homemade Pizza/Calzone Dough

This post is in response to several requests for my homemade pizza dough recipe. Scroll down or click on "Older Post" to see last week's recipes.

When I make this dough, I usually double or triple the recipe and then freeze extra in zip-lock freezer bags. When I want a quick weeknight meal, I take out the dough in the morning (or around noon if you stay at home) and put it in a greased bowl covered with plastic wrap. When you get home, roll out dough, spread on some sauce, top and bake!

This recipe makes two very thin crusts or one thick crust. When I want a medium crust, I double the recipe and make 3 crusts (and freeze what I don't need right then). If you make thick crust, you may want to bake it for about 5 minutes before adding sauce and toppings to make sure the crust cooks throughly. Try it once without pre-baking and see if you need to next time. A lot depends on your oven.

I bake my pizzas at 500 degrees on the lowest rack and check after 10 min. They usually take about 15 minutes.

I usually add some whole wheat flour to the dough (up to 1 c. per recipe below). Use this same recipe for calzones as well!

INGREDIENTS
1 c. warm water
1 pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
2 1/2-3 c. flour (use up to 1 c. whole wheat).
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, combine water, yeast and 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Add oil, salt and rest of flour.
2. Knead for at least 5 min until dough is elastic, soft and smooth (it should still be a little sticky but not sticking to hands). I usually knead my dough in my electric standing mixer with the dough hook. About halfway through, I'll take it out of mixer to check if it needs a tbsp or two more of flour. Remember, it should still be sticky and even sticking a little to the bottom of the mixer. (If freezing dough, divide up and place in zip-lock freezer bags BEFORE letting dough rise).
3. Let dough rest in a greased bowl covered with plastic wrap until double (about an hour). If in a hurry, you can let it rest about 20 min and it will still turn out good!
4. Punch dough down, divide into the number of pizzas you're going to make, roll into balls, and let rest 15 minutes.
5. Oil your pizza pan (I use olive oil then sprinkle with a little cornmeal).
6. Either roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin or press out onto pan with fingers. Top pizza with sauce and desired toppings.
7. Bake at 500 degrees for about 15 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment