May 5, 2011

Week 41, Recipe 2: Cajun Grilled Shrimp & Scallops

Photo by Taste of Home (forgot to take one of my own!)

NOTES
  • The original recipe is from Taste of Home but I modified it significantly by using my own cajun seasoning. If you prefer not to mix up your own, use: 3 tsp store-bought cajun seasning, 1 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce, 3/4 tsp garlic powder, and 3/4 tsp onion powder instead. If you make my homemade seasoning, you'll have extras. Store in an airtight container or small ziplock and label.
  • I have never cooked sea scallops before so I only bought 6 just in case I didn't like them. Turns out they are delicious and I will be cooking them again! They have a delicate flavor, like crab. Even my almost 2-year-old liked them.
  • If you don't have metal skewers, use wooden ones but be sure to soak them in water at least 15 minutes before threading shrimp and scallops onto them.
INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 c. butter, cubed
  • About 1/2 pound shrimp (uncooked or cooked but with tails on)
  • 10-16 sea scallops
  • Homemade cajun seasoning (or replace with seasonings listed in NOTES):
    • 1 tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp onion powder
    • 1 tbsp paprika
    • 2 tsp white pepper
    • 2 tsp black pepper
    • 1 tsp thyme
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • pinch of cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 tsp salt
DIRECTIONS
1. Melt the butter in the microwave and stir in 4 tsp of the homemade cajun season (or all of the seasonings listed in the NOTES).
2. Set aside 1/2 c. of the butter mixture for serving and cover with foil to keep warm.
3. Coat a grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Peel and devein shrimp if necessary, leaving the tails on.
4. On four metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread shrimp and scallops (I used precooked shrimp so I threaded the shrimp separate from the scallops because I thought they would cook faster which they did).
5. Baste on both sides with butter mixture and grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are firm and opaque, basting occasionally with butter mixture.
6. Serve with the reserved butter for dipping.


No comments:

Post a Comment