- The original recipe calls for Gruyere cheese but I had Swiss on hand so I used that and it was delicious.
- I love using asparagus whenever I can this time of year!
- Recipe modified from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
- 8 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c. shredded Gruyere or 1/2 c. shredded Swiss
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive or cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 8 oz asparagus, trimmed of tough ends and cut on the bias into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 oz cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper together in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a large (10-inch) ovenproof skillet (put foil over the handle if there is rubber or plastic on it), heat oil and then saute the onion and asparagus for several minutes. Add the ham and saute a few minutes more until asparagus is tender.
4. Dump the egg mixture on top of the asparagus mixture and stir for about 30 seconds until the eggs on the bottom are starting to set.
5. As the sides start to cook, use your spatula to pull the sides in, tilt the pan and let the uncooked egg in the middle run underneath. Continue the all around the pan. Let cook for several minutes on the stove until mostly set but still moist in the middle.
6. Transfer to the oven and cook until set, about 3-7 minutes. I also turn my broiler on for a minute or so at the end (watch carefully!) so the top gets nicely golden brown.