- Despite the lengthy name, these sandwiches are easy to assemble. You can buy your own red pepper and roast it under your broiler or buy a jar of roasted red peppers (usually much more costly than doing it yourself!).
- Make your own pesto or buy the pre-made pesto at your grocery store.
- This recipe makes 4 sandwiches.
- Modified from Woman's Day
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 tbsp-ish olive oil
- 1/4 c. pesto (see link under NOTES above for how to make your own)
- 4 ciabatta rolls or a ciabatta loaf
- Cheese of choice - sliced provolone, havarti, feta crumbles, ricotta, etc.
- 2 red bell peppers roasted (see NOTES above for how to make your own)
1. Heat grill to medium. Brush both sides of sliced eggplant with oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Grill eggplant until slightly charred and tender, about 3 minutes per side.
3. Toast bread on grill just until warmed.
4. Spread pesto on the bottom piece of bread and top with eggplant, cheese and roasted red pepper (and salt and pepper to taste).