- Original recipe modified from Simple and Delicious, suggested by a relative (thanks April!)
- These were really tasty and froze so easily. I made four to eat right away and froze four for later (used two pizza crusts). To eat the frozen ones, remove and thaw at room temp for 2 hours or so or put in the fridge and thaw overnight. Bake as directed below.
- The recipe below makes 8 calzones (some to freeze!)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage (I like the spicy kind)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pizza crust - enough to make 2 pizzas. Keep in mind my recipe makes two very thin crusts or one thick. I like to double the recipe and make 3 crusts, freezing one or two of them before letting them rise.
- 1 1/2 cup shredded \mozzarella cheese
- Approximately 4 c. cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Pizza or marinara sauce for dipping
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Meanwhile, roll out pizza crusts and pat into two 15-in. x 11-in. rectangles. Cut each rectangle into four smaller rectangles. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over half of each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
2. Drain sausage. Add spinach and garlic and stir over medium heat until spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the ricotta cheese, salt and pepper and fresh basil if using.
3. Spread meat/spinach mixture over mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal.
4. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.