- Made this last year with leftover Easter ham and it was DELICIOUS. We will make again next week for sure!
- Recipe is from The Pioneer Woman
- Other good ideas for ham leftovers:
- 3 lbs russet or yukon gold potatoes, washed thoroughly
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups diced ham
- 1 1/2 c. half-and-half
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. all-p flour
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or grease a large casserole dish.
2. Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they start to turn translucent. Then add ham and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until starting to brown a little. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Combine half-and-half and cream in a microwave-safe container and cook for a minute or so, until no longer cold. Whisk in flour and black pepper and set aside.
4. Combine the two grated cheeses and set aside.
5. Using a mandoline or slicer, slice potatoes into very thin 1/8-inch slices. To assemble: layer 1/3 of the potato slices in the buttered casserole dish, sprinkle on 1/3 of the ham/onion mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese, then pour on 1/3 of the cream mixture.
6. Repeat this twice more, ending with a sprinkling of cheese and a pouring on of the rest of the cream mixture. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until bubbly and hot. Let sit 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.