- The original recipe called for 3 c. of shredded, frozen hash browns, thawed and drained but I used 3 cups of shredded fresh potatoes and squeezed the extra moisture out of them in a clean dishcloth over the sink.
- Recipe modified from Paula Deen.
- 3 c. shredded potatoes (or see NOTES above to use frozen hash browns)
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 c. half-n-half
- 3/4 c. diced cooked ham
- 1/2 c. diced green onions
- 1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Squeeze the liquid out of your freshly grated potatoes by placing them in a clean dishcloth and wringing it several times. Pat potatoes as dry as possible. Toss them with melted butter.
3. Press the hash browns into a 9-inch pie plate into the bottom and sides to form a crust. Bake for 20-25 min or until golden brown and starting to crisp (you may have to cover with foil if the top starts to brown quickly.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. When the has brown crust is ready, pour the egg mixture over it and return it to the oven.
5. Lower the temp to 350 and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the quiche is light golden brown on top and puffed.