- This is my go-to recipe for waffles and pancakes. Its my grandmother's recipe.
- I often substitute half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour. Regular whole wheat will also work fine but I have found they are lighter if you use the whole wheat pastry flour.
- Add a touch a cinnamon if desired.
- The recipe below will make approximately 4-6 regular sized waffles so double as necessary.
- 2 c. flour (see NOTES above)
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 4 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Fresh, sliced strawberries or other topping as desired
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat waffle iron and combine all dry ingredients for waffles/pancakes in a large bowl and whisk.
2. In another medium-sized bowl, combine wet ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir with a wood spoon or spatula until just mixed and no dry flour remains.
4. For topping, whip cold heavy whipping cream with the whisk attachment on your stand mixer until starting to become stiff. Add sugar and vanilla and continue to whisk until hard peaks form (when you lift whisk attachment up out of the cream, a peak of the whipped cream forms and stays).
5. Serve warm waffles with a large dollop of cream and sliced strawberries