- The cake recipe is modified from Taste of Home. I labeled this recipe "gluten-free" because I actually made it g-free for a friend of mine who was coming for dinner. I simply used g-free grahams instead of regular and it turned out great! Regular grahams would also be just as good if you don't need it g-free. :)
- You need to make the strawberry topping ahead of time (at least 2-3 hours before serving) so it has a chance to cool completely in the fridge. It does not taste good warm but tastes delicious once cooled and lasts for several days so use it on your waffles if you have extra!
- The cake is GREAT for entertaining because it can be made ahead of time. It needs at least 24 hours to chill in the fridge so make it the day/night before you need it.
- 3/4 cup ground pecans
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c. (16 oz) sour cream
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c. chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
1. Combine pecans, crumbs and butter. Press onto the bottom of a 10-in. springform pan. Set aside.
2. For filling, beat the cream cheese in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth. Add eggs, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat well. Spoon over crust.
3. Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes or until filling is almost set. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, for sour cream topping, combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over cheesecake and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate 24 hours.
4. Just before serving, loosen and remove sides of springform pan and serve with the strawberry topping (see instructions below) on the side.
DIRECTIONS - Strawberry topping
1. Put chopped strawberries and sugar into a small saucepan. Add 1/3 cup water and stir. Heat mixture over medium high heat until it boils. Stir, then reduce heat to medium.
2. Mix cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water until a thick liquid forms. Pour the liquid into the pan, stirring continuously, and continue to stir until well blended.
3. Cook the strawberry mixture over medium for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until it becomes thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Leave as is or puree if you want a smoother topping. Chill in fridge until ready to use (chill at least a few hours).