- Original recipe from Taste of Home
- This recipe needs to be made and served immediately. To plan ahead, remove your frozen spinach from the freezer the night before you'd like to prepare the meal so that it thaws completely.
- 1 pkg (16 oz) frozen or refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14-1/2 oz can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry / or 2-4 c. chopped fresh
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 c. whipping cream
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese + extra for topping
1. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender.
2. Add garlic; cook 1 min longer. Add the tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the cream and cheese. Bring to a light boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes.
4. Drain tortellini and toss with sauce. Sprinkle with additional cheese.