February 6, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

NOTES
  • This is a really easy and delicious breakfast and the leftovers are great too. Just reheat and mix with milk.
  • Add chopped walnuts or pecans, a different dried fruit (cherries, blueberries, apricots, cranberries, etc.) to change up the flavor.
  • I set out my casserole dish and oil spray, mix the dry ingredients together & wet ingredients together the night before and even pre-set my oven to 350 degrees 10 minutes before I'm going to get up. Then I roll out of bed, mix the dry ingredients with the wet, spray my casserole dish with oil, pour the oatmeal mixture into the casserole and pop in the oven. Then I jump in the shower and when I'm out it's ready!
  • Sorry, no pic to post with this one. Both times I've made it it's been super early in the morning and still dark outside which does not make for a good pic.
  • Adapted from Simply in Season
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 c. rolled oats (use the old-fashioned kind, they're more nutritious)
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar (or try maple syrup or honey)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 c. raisins (or other dried fruit - see NOTE above)
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. applesauce
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 egg (beaten)
DIRECTIONS
1. Combine dry ingredients (through raisins) in a large bowl (can do this the night before).
2. Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl (can do this the night before & store in fridge).
3. Bake in a greased round casserole dish (about 2-L), covered, for 25 minutes.
4. Serve hot with milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment