- This comes together quickly (45 minutes if using brown rice) but you can also make it ahead of time.
- Modified from Simply in Season Cookbook
- A delicious vegetarian weeknight meal that makes great lunch leftovers the next day!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained or the equivalent in cooked dry beans (click here then scroll down a bit for conversion)
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 c. uncooked rice (brown or white)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Cheddar, Monterrey Jack or Mexican blend cheese for serving
- Other optional topping - avocado, sour cream, salsa, fresh tomatoes, etc.
1. In a saucepan, saute onion and pepper in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add all ingredients except cheese and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is done; 20 minutes for white rice 40-45 for brown.
3. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve with cheese and any other optional toppings.